Monday, October 4, 2010

Holding a life in your hands...

Once again, this is about my puppy.
The poor guy has parvo and was stepped on, suffering from spinal and nerve damage. These things are curable...the catch is, their curable indivually. Both are hard to cure for puppies, much less if the two are combined.
Now, my puppy has gotten worse. He can't stand or sit or even move. He's had a seizure at least once, and he can't manage to eat on his own.
But, when you look into his eyes, you see a soul fighting for survival.
Now, my vet suggests we give him a couple more days to see if he recovers. If he doesn't, he suggests we put him down and out of his pain.
Now, I hold this innnocent puppy life in my hands. My family won't make the decision to put him down, they'll leave it up to me because in the end, I care the most for this puppy.
I thought of putting him down, releasing him from the pain that he suffers daily and inceasingly.
But, I can't imagine taking a life from such innocent of a soul that is obviously fighting to live the life he was destined to have.
So, what am I to do? What would you do in a situation where the life of another creature depended on you?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Skip! You and you're poor, little puppy. I feel like I'm the one with the dog! I feel your pain. Try to be optumistic, you never do know what could happen. I wish that little fellow the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't put him down yet. He's fighting to survive. I feel so bad for him. It may be painful now, but just think, one day that pain will go away and he'll live a happy puppy life licking your face! :D

    ReplyDelete